When it comes time to list your home, there are a million things you can do to make it stand out. But usually by the time you’ve decided to sell, the last thing you want to do is spend a pile of money on your home.
So if sinking in a bunch of money isn’t an option, here are a few inexpensive ways to make your home more appealing to buyers.
1. Clean every square inch of your home: scrubbing walls, wiping down the inside of every shoe, linen and storage closet, every cupboard and drawer, inside the fridge & oven, and a thorough wipe down of all wooden blinds and window sills.
2. Not only should you thoroughly wipe down your closets, drawers and cupboards, you should organize the contents too. You want to showcase how much space there is so the more organized things look, the better. Fold all towels, bed sheets and pillowcases in linen closets, keep cans and jars organized in the pantry and organize all the shelves in the storage closet.
3. Clean Windows. You may have to hire professionals if you don’t have the equipment to reach windows higher up, but for lower windows, a quick wipe down with a vinegar and water solution will leave them sparkling.
4. Pressure-wash the exterior. With the winds we have in Southern Alberta, dust and leaves often accumulate along front porches, decks and siding. Take the pressure washer to the exterior of your home and it will look bright and clean (do this before cleaning the windows of course).
5. Weed flowerbeds: Not only does a flowerbed full of weeds look unsightly, it also gives the impression a home is uncared for. Pull out any weeds and unhealthy shrubs or flowers.
6. De-clutter: Less is more. Again, space is what buyers are looking for. By de-cluttering, it makes a home feel airy and more spacious.
7. Arrange furniture to showcase the space in each room. Pull couches and chairs away from the walls to create a more intimate arrangement. Remove any large pieces that are too big for the room and always place furniture to showcase the best use of space in each room.
8. Clean carpets before listing: This is really important. Carpets look so much better when they’ve just been steam cleaned. If you have your own steam cleaner, great. If not, they are fairly inexpensive to rent from your local supermarket.
9. After all this hard work, ensure your REALTOR® takes plenty of photos and/or virtual tours of your home. Your home must appeal to buyers in person, but more importantly, it must appeal to online buyers. This is how most people do their shopping today – online. With all the online marketing options now available, there is no reason why any REALTOR® should only include blurry, dark and small photos in their listing.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Meagen Mackenzie is a REALTOR® and Accredited Staging Professional with RE/MAX iREALTY INNOVATIONS
Follow Meagen on Google